This is from the Adams Point Yahoo! Message Board:
The Westlake Community Coalition (what we’re now calling ourselves) made some headway at the Whole Foods pedestrian/cyclist meeting with Council Member Nancy Nadel, CEDA Director Claudia Cappio and Public Works staff on Monday night.
MANY THANKS to Nancy Nadel and her staff person Carletta Starks for calling the meeting, ensuring city staff were in attendance and for having already followed up on some commitments (see below). The City’s Pedestrian Coordinator Jason Patton deserves a BIG THANKS, too for identifying solutions to our concerns, rather than questioning whether they are valid.
What did the City commit to?
- signs directing people to I-580 via 27th rather than Harrison
- right turn only out of Whole Foods
- signal at Bay Place and Vernon, ped crossing to be timed for slower moving folks
- some kind of traffic calming at Lee/Vernon intersection, funding is secured, community will have input
- feasibility study of continuing bike lanes from Grand onto Bay Place to 27th to Broadway and further west (may have already begun!)
- a community meeting in three months to update us
What will the City do about Oakland/Harrison?
- a comprehensive study of the traffic/ped issues in this corridor including a traffic light and safe crossing to the Westlake Middle School
- Nancy Nadel has already contacted CalTrans about splitting the cost of a traffic light ($250K) with the City and has identified $100K of funding!
- Nancy Nadel also has put the Neighborhood Services Coordinator in touch with Westlake M.S. to create a pick-up/drop-off plan for students and parents
- Residents must remain engaged and keep the city accountable for follow-through!
- We are asking for points of contact and a mechanism to provide input on intersection design.
- The Coalition will be following up on progress between now and three months with those points of contact.
- A community update meeting in three months about progress the city is making on the studies and commitments.
- Vernon residents will collect petition signatures for speed bumps on the block between Lee and Perkins.
- Check the Tribune for an article (today? tomorrow?) about the issues.
Tim Curry Recovering From Apparent Stroke - Tim Curry, the legendary British actor star of The Rocky Horror Picture Show,(which were also London and Los Angeles stage productions of The Rocky Horror ...
38 minutes ago