I can count on one hand the number of times I've walked into the Burger King on the corner of 13th and Broadway, and one reason is the up-and-down pattern of clean in the facility. For anyone who wonders what happens when employees don't keep an eatery clean, read on. What caught my eye was this statement: "This is a common problem in restaurants that don't keep their systems clean"
Grease fire sparks downtown blaze
By Janis Mara, Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 02/12/2007 11:50:06 AM PST
A firefighter climbs to the roop of a building at 13th and Broadway in Oakland. (Laura A. Oda - Staff)
Commuters in downtown Oakland were put off their morning coffee and croissan'wichs Monday, when smoke poured from a building just after 9 a.m. at 13th and Broadway.
The fire at the two-story Civic Center Market Place building started as a grease fire in the ground-floor Burger King's flue system, Oakland Fire Battalion Chief William Towner said. No one was injured in the blaze.
"This is a common problem in restaurants that don't keep their systems clean," Towner said. The fire was reported around 9:15 a.m., and firefighters were able to bring the blaze under control by 9:51 a.m. A total 22 firefighters and five trucks responded to the blaze.
Fire officials reported the incident to the Alameda County Public Health Department, saying the restaurant was contaminated by the retardants used to fight the fire.
Preliminary estimates put damages at $10,000, Towner said.
The building includes the Civic Center Market Place and is next to the Tribune Tower in downtown Oakland.
Chevron Ecuador: Ecuadorian Judge Nicolas Zambrano Lozada Skips Court - Nicolas Zambrano Lozada, the now-former Ecuador judge who was found to have taken a large, half-million dollar bribe in the Chevron (TexPet) Ecuador case, ...
9 hours ago