Skip to main content

"Easy" - Controversy Uncovers A Desire To "Explain Away" Race Problems

After I posted my problem in the way I was treated by a staffer at "Easy" I received a number of responses, most sympathetic, then some just plain pathetic.

The ones in the "pathetic" category seemed to run a consistent thread of wanting to explain away the staffers behavior when the writer wasn't even at Easy at the time of the incident -- let alone at all. It's this desire to avoid adressing a problem that keeps us as a society from making sure such scenarios don't happen again. I must also report that no one African American wrote to disagree.

The main point is that if a person explains that something in the way they were treated was racist, don't try to explain it away if you were not there to witness it. Remember there are really a limited number of ways one can treat someone else: mean or nice. The reasons this is done vary from person to person. Thus one can be mean to someone for reasons of racial difference and express the same behavior to someone else for a different set of reasons.

This is what must be understood: racism is a form of rejection. If one who is black is being excluded or singled out as "bad" and for no reason attached to their actions, but for their simple existence in a place or establishment, and they're a racial minoity in that setting, it's only logical to assume the problem is tied to racial prejudice.

That explains thousands of encounters African Americans, or those who are dark-skined, experience every day. It could be someone at BART who walks past a black person to ask somone white standing next to them for information on the next train. Or it could be scores of people who are not black walking past a black person sitting at a bench waiting on a train and only to sit at the next bench -- and more often than not where somone who's either white or not black is sitting.

This problem is pervasive, and must be stopped as it's borne of racial anxieties that should not exist. Remember the definition of "anxiety" is a fear that in reality will never happen but the person believes will occur.

If in reading this, you think people don't behave this way, just look around. For example, I was in North Beach with friends on the Saturday before the date of this post, when others -- white and English by accent and not known by me -- asked me if I was happy Ghana won.

"What?" Was my reply.

See, they assumed that because I'm black I was from Ghana and therefore knew about that country's World Cup win. I didn't know a thing. Remember, this was because I'm black. That's like me assuming that someone knew about the match between Germany and Poland because they were white.

Geez, man.

It's a primitive way of thinking and arguably a kind of mental illness that must be treated.

Comments

V Smoothe said…
Zennie -

You don't need to post this comment, I just want to respond to what you said personally. If you considered my comment in the group of "pathetic" attempts to "explain away," the incident, I'm sorry. I actually was at the bar at the time of the incident, so I witnessed many people being thrown out in the rush. Many of them felt they were being treated poorly and were very angry about it. And my insistence that racism was not the genesis of the issue comes from my personal relationship with the employee in question, who I've known quite well for a long time, and I known him to be extremely intolerant of racist attitudes in all forms, and have never once seen him single out anyone for their race. I understand that racism is a terrible problem, and one that I have also had the pain and frustration of experiencing. I do not find it tolerable in any form. I was simply trying to point out that, as I witnessed personally and also heard from others later, you were not, in fact, singled out, and that, in this particular case, you jumped to the wrong conclusion.
Zennie said…
Again, I didn't jump to a conclusion. You need a crash course on racism. If this person really is someone you know -- I question that you know him that well. Otherwise, you'd have directly called him a "best friend." Not an acquaintance. Look, you didn't see what happened, so this attempt to explain away this incident is borne of some other problem you possess. I'll be willing to bet that if I were white and female and complained that someone was bothering me, you'd back me in a second and without question.
Whether you like the fact or not, your "good acquaintance" reacted in a way that not just me BUT A WITNESS believed was racist. I'm sorry if that's hard for your to deal with, but that's what happened. You weren't even within shouting distance of my problem. It did deal with race and sex, because he confronted me directly and with my back turned. So you have nothing to say. Moreover, your idea of "racist attitudes" undoubtedly involves name -calling, when racism takes on many forms. Until you and people like you -- of which this person apparently is since you're claiming to be such "good buddies" with him -- learn to open your minds and hearts and just plain say "I'm sorry" these forms of subtle racism will continue and be battled by people like me.

Popular posts from this blog

Alex Castro, Electronic Arts VP, Is Oakland’s “Fake Joe Tuman”, “Crocker Mom”

Alex Castro, is currently Vice President Of Product Management At Electronic Arts, and a fairly-well-known and legendary tech executive, regularly quoted in a number of industry publications. But Alex Castro’s also an Oakland resident who has the terrible habit of going online, making traceble email accounts from his Electronic Arts office, and posing as someone […] from WordPress http://ift.tt/1fVkWP9 via IFTTT

Event: Jog For Jill San Francisco Run September 12th Golden Gate Park

Cal Women's Rowing Team member Jill Costello passed away from complications due to lung cancer on June 24th 2010 and at the age of 21. A San Francisco event and run called Jog For Jill has been established and will be held this Sunday, September 12th at 5 PM. Two members of the Cal Women's Crew team were at the Cal vs. Davis football game wearing Jog For Jill shirts, and were kind enough to provide the video interview above. Below are the other details from the event website, where you're encouraged to pre-register here CLICK FOR SITE : Pre-Registration: Online/$25 Day of Registration: 4:00 p.m./$30 Shotgun Start: 5:00 p.m. After run/walk celebration: 6:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m. Event Location: Golden Gate Park Music Concourse Bandshell S Tea Garden Drive San Francisco, California 94118 Participants are encouraged to pre-register. Only pre-registered participants will be guaranteed a walk/run T-shirt. T-shirts will be limited to the first 2500 day of regis

Oakland Mayor's Race: LWV Forum Draws Oakland's Older Folks

Oakland Mayor's Race Forum first take. (Which means, there's going to be more of these posts on last night, because a lot was happening.) This just in: The Oakland Tribune's out of touch with Oakland. A number of attendees of the 450 estimated said they learned of the Oakland League Of Women Voters via "the newspaper." All of the people who made that statement were over 50 years old. Still, the forum, which attracted every candidate except Dr. Terrance Candell, was a success. The auditorium at 300 Lakeside Drive seats 380 people, so if you do the math, it was about 70 over capacity. The crowd was a happy mix of supporters of candidates and long-time observers of the Oakland political scene. The one complaint they had was there wasn't enough time to hear what the candidates were about. That wasn't because there were too many candidates, but due to the format. Either Oakland Tribune Editor Martin Reynolds or the League of Women Voter