Skip to main content

After A Year, "Easy" Lounge Still Has A Race Problem; Or At Least Brian The Bartender Does

I just returned from a brief trip to Easy Bar on Lakeshore Avenue. I don't frequent the establishment, but time-removed from the opening-day episode where it seemed that the White male bartender employees were being way too macho with their patrons of color, including yours truly, I gradually went back to the place.

Easy's got a nice decor and I have personally felt that it's good to support Oakland business, rather than jaunt over to San Francisco. Plus, I had a programming assignment, finished it early, went shopping late, and figured, what the heck, I'll give Easy a try and go home and get some sleep.

Well, I walked in sat down, and waited. And then I waited. And then I elected to give a glance and one of the two White make bartenders finally came over and took my order and made the cocktail.

Fine.

After about 10 minutes of looking at a high movie screen, I had an idea for a political fundraiser that I could do there. So, even though I know the owner's on my Linkedin network, I decided to ask the bartender there. I asked the person who made the cocktail for me, who then said he had to talk to the other bartender because he didn't know what the policy for renting Easy out was. So he goes over and they talked, and then nothing -- no response. The guy he talked to didn't even come over. He just kept doing his "work" - which included pouring shots for himself.

So I gave a glance after another 10 minutes of waiting -- think about that: 10 minutes -- and the guy who was being a total jerk came over and said "What's your question."

Now lets pause for a moment.

There are two ways to look at this situation, neither of which is good. First, the person dismissed my question for some reason and explained that reason to the other bartender. Now, I don't know either one of them and have never seen them before. I'm not a regular at Easy.

The other way is even equally sinister: he got the fact that I had a question, but didn't know the question and wasnt interested in anything I had to say so he dismissed me. Period.

Until I used eye-contact to press the matter.

When he finally came over and asked "What's your question?" I told him, and without asking what I wanted to do, just said "We don't rent out the place for private events, but we can give you a booth." Then he walked away quickly.

Right.

My plan was a political fundraiser that included showing a movie. But he never asked.

Plus, his statement was just to get rid of me.

At that point, my blood ran cold and I thought "Here we go again."

So I asked to speak with the bartender again. More waiting. Finally, he came over and I asked his name.

"Brian", he said. "Brian what?" I asked. "Just Brian" was his response.

I then explained that the owner's in my Linkedin network and I'll bring this to his attention. Brian said "Look. Don't give me a lecture.."

At that point, I got up and said "This is over. I'm leaving," and left the cocktail I ordered 90 percent full, got up and walked out. I got home to the computer and wrote what you're reading now.

I've had it.

I did nothing wrong and didn't deserve to be treated that way, and yet the only reason I was is because I'm Black and male and Easy has an annoying habit of hiring the occasional White male bartenders who have race issues, especially with Black men.

Personally, I like Easy, but this guy Brian's got to go. I'm totally sick to my stomach and 100 percent TIRED of people like him. They have no place in Oakland, and should leave, or at least not work at any establishment like Easy. Let Brian go and do the neighborhood a favor; his bartender partner -- to be sure -- was just fine. But the great service I got from him was totally offset by Brian. Maybe he was already toasted from the shots he had, but that's no excuse for the totally irresponsible and apparently racist treatment he gave me.

Say what you will, but I will not tolerate that at all. Forget it. I've seen other bartenders treat some of the Black patrons there in an "indifferent" way, but they take it; not me. I'll not stand for that one bit, and I don't care who whines about "the race card", as that's B.S. I'll not tolerate this crap any longer.

As you can tell, I'm pissed.

In fact, Brian turned me off to Easy all over again.

In closing, I'm proud to say that this problem does not reflect Oakland, where I can go to a place like The Stork Club, listen to punk rock music, and feel right at home, me -- Black male, dressed in a suit. While I didn't have a suit on at Easy Lounge, it should not have mattered at all.

That was terrible.

Easy needs to change. Why not female bartenders of various backrounds? Why does Easy have this "type" they hire at present? -- it's not serving them, or the neighborhood, well. Look, some -- OK, two -- of the bartenders, I do like and should remain, but this Brian guy, he's got to get another job.

Comments

michael said…
ugh. unbelievable. the lake merritt area is so beautifully mixed - this brian fellow needs to take a walk around the neighborhood to see where he's working and then make a considered effort to change his behavior. i'm sorry this happened.

on another note, i saw the larouche creeps are back in front of the post office. the same folks who wanted to isolate and quarantine folks living with HIV are back under the false pretense of "impeaching cheney", and it's working. i saw people giving them money. i confronted the woman tabling there, but she said that the HIV matter was a "lie".

it's not a lie.

xm
Damon said…
Yea. Must have been because you were black and he was white. That's the only option here. Naturally, the measured response is to type an angry email while wiping tears off the keyboard.

I'm also "100% tired of people like him." After all, "they have no place in Oakland". Damn white people... I mean, damn racist bartenders.

Popular posts from this blog

Alex Castro, Electronic Arts VP, Is Oakland’s “Fake Joe Tuman”, “Crocker Mom”

Alex Castro, is currently Vice President Of Product Management At Electronic Arts, and a fairly-well-known and legendary tech executive, regularly quoted in a number of industry publications. But Alex Castro’s also an Oakland resident who has the terrible habit of going online, making traceble email accounts from his Electronic Arts office, and posing as someone […] from WordPress http://ift.tt/1fVkWP9 via IFTTT

Event: Jog For Jill San Francisco Run September 12th Golden Gate Park

Cal Women's Rowing Team member Jill Costello passed away from complications due to lung cancer on June 24th 2010 and at the age of 21. A San Francisco event and run called Jog For Jill has been established and will be held this Sunday, September 12th at 5 PM. Two members of the Cal Women's Crew team were at the Cal vs. Davis football game wearing Jog For Jill shirts, and were kind enough to provide the video interview above. Below are the other details from the event website, where you're encouraged to pre-register here CLICK FOR SITE : Pre-Registration: Online/$25 Day of Registration: 4:00 p.m./$30 Shotgun Start: 5:00 p.m. After run/walk celebration: 6:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m. Event Location: Golden Gate Park Music Concourse Bandshell S Tea Garden Drive San Francisco, California 94118 Participants are encouraged to pre-register. Only pre-registered participants will be guaranteed a walk/run T-shirt. T-shirts will be limited to the first 2500 day of regis

Oakland Mayor's Race: LWV Forum Draws Oakland's Older Folks

Oakland Mayor's Race Forum first take. (Which means, there's going to be more of these posts on last night, because a lot was happening.) This just in: The Oakland Tribune's out of touch with Oakland. A number of attendees of the 450 estimated said they learned of the Oakland League Of Women Voters via "the newspaper." All of the people who made that statement were over 50 years old. Still, the forum, which attracted every candidate except Dr. Terrance Candell, was a success. The auditorium at 300 Lakeside Drive seats 380 people, so if you do the math, it was about 70 over capacity. The crowd was a happy mix of supporters of candidates and long-time observers of the Oakland political scene. The one complaint they had was there wasn't enough time to hear what the candidates were about. That wasn't because there were too many candidates, but due to the format. Either Oakland Tribune Editor Martin Reynolds or the League of Women Voter