Skip to main content

Calpine's Russell City Energy Center focus of public hearing in Hayward

More at Zennie62.com | Follow me on Twitter! | Get my widget! | Visit YouTube | Visit UShow.com



Last Wednesday I attended the suprisingly popular public hearing held at Hayward City Hall by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) on the planned Russell City Energy Center. I've followed this issue because it's another example of what I contend is an unnecessary division between jobs and environmental health.

The hearing did not result in a final decision being made but was held to gain the required public comments on Calpine's permit application to build the 600-megawatt complex. But that didn't stop people, mostly opposed by a 60 percent, 40 percent ratio, from coming out to the meeting, which I'm from here down calling "an event".


I also must observe that I don't think a lot of the opponents really understood the technical issues behind the plant enough to be shown evidence that Calpine's working to have a plant that meets or surpasses Federal Greenhouse Gas Emissions.

Calpine reports again and again that they have worked to reduce emission limits from the plant in response to concerns of environmentalists. Now that written, recent reports explain that over the last 2,000 years the artic has been warmed, not cooled, due to oil and coal burning.

All of that has Alameda County Supervior Gale Steele up in arms over the proposal and, well, just doesn't want the plant built. I personally disagree with my friend in Alameda County politics because, as she herself admitted, she doesn't know enough of the "science" as she put it to know what's being proposed. But it also means regardless of what Calpine shows her, she's opposed to the plan.

Calpine's Norma Dunn told me they're aware of the need to make a new generation plant and have worked to make one that meets the demands of Hayward residents. Plus, Hayward Fire Fighters came out to show their support because Calpine has financially helped their department in a time of need.

With all that, the meeting was peaceful, far different from the wild west health care town halls we've come to see over and over again this year. My read is that while some Hayward residents are very upset over the proposal, others want the jobs, and Calpine's flexible in their dealings with the public.

I think Calpine needs to make a really simple explanation - a cartoon or something - that helps people like Supervisor Steele "get it." They're making the right moves to come away with a plant that meets the balance between creating jobs and saving the environment.

Comments

Unknown said…
I am a student at UC Santa Cruz and I'm doing a research paper on this. If any one has any information on this, I would like to interview you about this subject. Contact me at aalcazar@ucsc.edu.

Popular posts from this blog

Melissa Dettwiller-Rand Female Bodybuilding Legend, Is Battling Breast Cancer, Needs Our Help - Vlog

via IFTTT

Alex Castro, Electronic Arts VP, Is Oakland’s “Fake Joe Tuman”, “Crocker Mom”

Alex Castro, is currently Vice President Of Product Management At Electronic Arts, and a fairly-well-known and legendary tech executive, regularly quoted in a number of industry publications. But Alex Castro’s also an Oakland resident who has the terrible habit of going online, making traceble email accounts from his Electronic Arts office, and posing as someone […] from WordPress http://ift.tt/1fVkWP9 via IFTTT

Oakland / SF Bay Area Street & Hip Hop Slang Reference Dictionary

This gem of an entry comes from swtazzguy over at MySpace. It's very extensive and includes sayings I've not heard before. It's perfect for advertisers looking for ideas on how to reach the Hip Hop generation. It's also good lingo for politicians. Note that Oakland is called "City of Dope." 151- Stands for 151 Bacardi, which is the amount of proof in it, also pronouced One-Five-One 415 - 415 is the area code for San Francisco. It roughly describes the physical area of San Francisco City. 415 used to be the area code for the Bay Area, but is now broken into several area codes. 415 is also the name of a now defunked group out of Oakland, featuring Richi Rich. 6-9 Village - The 69th street projects in East Oakland (Longwood Gardens). 707 - North bay 850 - 850 Bryant, San Francisco is the address for the San Francisco County Jail. It stands omniously in SOMA, and can be seen from the freeway to the Bay Bridge. Many San Francisco rappers refer to this build...