Skip to main content

Angry, Violent Luxor Cab Driver in San Francisco on election night



For this blogger, 2010 California Primary Election Night will be remembered for an emotional, stirring speech by Kamala Harris, now the California Democratic Representative in the race for the Attorney General seat now held by Jerry Brown, and an angry, irrational, and racist cab driver who really should be off the streets of San Francisco, or at least not allowed to drive a cab.

It started at 9:15 PM PDT as I walked up the escalator at The BART Embarcadero Station to Market Street on the side in front of the San Francisco Federal Building. The initial plan was to walk over to the cab stand on Drumm Street in front of the Hyatt Regency. Then I saw a white cab drive slowly by, so I yelled "Hey taxi" and on cue, the cab slowed more and turned from the second lane to the first lane and to me. I clapped my hands in delight, opened the door, and got into the cab.

That was the end of my joy.

Angry Luxor Taxi Driver 
I told the man to take me to Delancey Street where the party for Kamala Harris was being held. He started to move, then stopped a bit and said "I think that man wanted the cab." I looked up at a guy who was texting on his iPhone and had zero interest in getting a cab. Moreover, no one said "Hey, that's my cab." Nothing.

So I told the cab driver that was me, not him yelling for a cab. The cab driver said I was wrong, and turned the corner. He said, it was the other guy and kept looking back to see if he was there. No one was chasing his cab.

I was a bit annoyed and said "Frankly, I think you wanted to pick up a white guy and was upset that you got a black guy." At that he stopped the cab and ordered me out, as the video shows. When he stopped the cab, I took out my video camera.

I use cabs a lot of late and the experience has been weird and disheartening. Many cab drivers tell me they are most afraid of "East Oakland" patrons, and when I quiz them, I find they mean black men.  It's one reason I carry a video camera.

Cab drivers in San Francisco and Oakland hold a great prejudice against black men, especially African cab drivers. White drivers are generally the best to deal with, followed by African American cab drivers. The driver of Luxor Cab #1046 from last night was Nigerian, I later learned.

At any rate, the Nigerian cab driver came over and opened the door and tried to pull me out of the cab. I told him he was going to get arrested. I repeated that over and over again. I also said "You don't know who I am, do you?" He said he did not care.

He then said I'm calling the police, which I welcomed as I wanted them to see what he was doing. As he was dialing the phone I got out of the cab to get a video of him. Then he came over and pushed around me, shut the door, then got in the cab and drove off. At that point, I had all the evidence I needed for an assault charge.

The cab driver was lucky he got me and not some gang banger, I suppose. But regardless, and humor aside, how many other people does he treat that way and gets away with it? There's no mental screening or testing for cab drivers in San Francisco or Oakland, so you don't know who you're dealing with. The last time this happened to me, the cabbie, also African, told me to get out of the car, but did not touch me. See:



By contrast, the Nigerian cab driver did touch me and for no good reason. In the time he took to be violent or try to be, as really I was strong enough to hold my camera and hold my place in the car, he could have taken me to Delancey Street. Instead, he sped off. But I got his information:L Luxor Cab #1046 CA License number 8L46060.

I hope the San Francisco Taxi Commission takes him off the road. He told Luxor that I "took a cab that was meant for someone else" but that's a lie as reported by the driver himself who said on the video that he was upset that I simply mentioned that he favored a white passenger over a black one.

I'll bet he didn't tell Luxor he put his hands on me.

But the truth is, not only did he, the so-called white passenger was never there. But the Nigerian cab driver was just being psychotic. But that should be enough to get a person off the streets of San Francisco.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alex Castro, Electronic Arts VP, Is Oakland’s “Fake Joe Tuman”, “Crocker Mom”

Alex Castro, is currently Vice President Of Product Management At Electronic Arts, and a fairly-well-known and legendary tech executive, regularly quoted in a number of industry publications. But Alex Castro’s also an Oakland resident who has the terrible habit of going online, making traceble email accounts from his Electronic Arts office, and posing as someone […] from WordPress http://ift.tt/1fVkWP9 via IFTTT

Event: Jog For Jill San Francisco Run September 12th Golden Gate Park

Cal Women's Rowing Team member Jill Costello passed away from complications due to lung cancer on June 24th 2010 and at the age of 21. A San Francisco event and run called Jog For Jill has been established and will be held this Sunday, September 12th at 5 PM. Two members of the Cal Women's Crew team were at the Cal vs. Davis football game wearing Jog For Jill shirts, and were kind enough to provide the video interview above. Below are the other details from the event website, where you're encouraged to pre-register here CLICK FOR SITE : Pre-Registration: Online/$25 Day of Registration: 4:00 p.m./$30 Shotgun Start: 5:00 p.m. After run/walk celebration: 6:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m. Event Location: Golden Gate Park Music Concourse Bandshell S Tea Garden Drive San Francisco, California 94118 Participants are encouraged to pre-register. Only pre-registered participants will be guaranteed a walk/run T-shirt. T-shirts will be limited to the first 2500 day of regis

Oakland Mayor's Race: LWV Forum Draws Oakland's Older Folks

Oakland Mayor's Race Forum first take. (Which means, there's going to be more of these posts on last night, because a lot was happening.) This just in: The Oakland Tribune's out of touch with Oakland. A number of attendees of the 450 estimated said they learned of the Oakland League Of Women Voters via "the newspaper." All of the people who made that statement were over 50 years old. Still, the forum, which attracted every candidate except Dr. Terrance Candell, was a success. The auditorium at 300 Lakeside Drive seats 380 people, so if you do the math, it was about 70 over capacity. The crowd was a happy mix of supporters of candidates and long-time observers of the Oakland political scene. The one complaint they had was there wasn't enough time to hear what the candidates were about. That wasn't because there were too many candidates, but due to the format. Either Oakland Tribune Editor Martin Reynolds or the League of Women Voter