Skip to main content

AT&T Fraudulently Shoves DIRECTV Cutomer To U-Verse; Forget T-Mobile

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson has to take care of his current customers and stop some really disturbing practices before AT&T takes over T-Mobile.

Given what happened to this blogger today, God forbid any T-Mobile user that winds up in the clutches of AT&T.

There's evidence that AT&T tries to fraudulently push customers into buying their U-Verse television service and it comes in the form of this blogger's experience, which ended - for now - just seven minutes ago.

It started when I called to order AT&T High Speed Internet service on Wednesday of this week (May 11th). The AT&T agent who took my call and set up my order, Chrissy, said that I was in an area "Where they're targeting AT&T U-Verse for service."

I told her that I had (and have) DIRECTV and was happy with it. I didn't want AT&T U-Verse, and asked her not to add it.

After that was done, Chrissy was to call me back at 1:30 PM PST to finalize the order on Thursday. It was to cost $250, including the set up fee. Fine.

But then she never called back at the time she asked for; I wanted 2 PM.

So, wanting a faster Internet service set up ASAP, I called today, this afternoon, to learn what happened to the call back I was expecting and to get the order done.

I end up talking to an AT&T agent named "Rosalind." This was at 6:45 PM, or about less than an hour ago from now. She was asking questions as if she was about to do the order all over again; I asked her not to do that, and said "Just look at your notes. It's all there."

Rosalind said she found the account information and my order. She then, in claiming she wanted to make sure I got the right price, asked me what connection I wanted. I told her "it's all there." She said "I'm just making sure that you get the right price."

So, she set up a price that was $315 but with me paying $100. That didn't seem correct compared to what I had originally ordered, but thinking that I may have forgot something, went ahead with the order.

Remember that I never said I wanted AT&T U-Verse. I have DIRECTV and like it. I just need high-speed Internet service.

So, I copy my account number down and store it. Then, an email pops up informing me that I ordered, you guessed it, AT&T U-Verse.

I hit the ceiling.

So, I immediately called back and got some AT&T agent who acted like he didn't understand what I was saying. So, rather than waste time with him, I asked for his supervisor.

The supervisor, named "Darby" and with the employee number NR8576 (or so he says), said that "You'll have to call cancellation department, but they're closed as it's past business hours."

I asked why Rosalind could take up the issue of completing my account and taking my money, but he could not change the order? He said there was nothing he could do.

I don't believe it.

He did offer the customer service number, and of course, the recording said it was closed. Personally, it's a total shame the local governments don't allow more Internet service provider competition so the choices are broader than AT&T and Comcast. In fact, the current environment should be illegal.

But what is illegal, is the bait-and-switch tactic that AT&T is employing.

But apparently, both AT&T and DIRECTV are practicing such an activity according to the quick Google search I conducted. Looking up "u-verse, directv, bait and switch," I found a slew of results, but of the list on the first page, the majority (6 of 10) were against AT&T, and for a pricing practice that causes U-verse customers to be charged for more than what was printed on their plan statement.

Regardless of the way the bait-and-switch happens, it's not right. It's a practice that must stop.

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson must place this at the top of his agenda, even over his visit to Capital Hill in Washington, this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alex Castro, Electronic Arts VP, Is Oakland’s “Fake Joe Tuman”, “Crocker Mom”

Alex Castro, is currently Vice President Of Product Management At Electronic Arts, and a fairly-well-known and legendary tech executive, regularly quoted in a number of industry publications. But Alex Castro’s also an Oakland resident who has the terrible habit of going online, making traceble email accounts from his Electronic Arts office, and posing as someone […] from WordPress http://ift.tt/1fVkWP9 via IFTTT

Interview: Imani, Chef Owner of Roasted and Raw RoastedRaw.com, For Oakland Restaurant Week 2023

Interview: Imani, Chef Owner of Roasted and Raw RoastedRaw.com, For Oakland Restaurant Week 2023 Interview: Imani, Chef Owner of Roasted and Raw RoastedRaw.com, For Oakland Restaurant Week 2023. Imani Greer gets a highlight in The Oakland Post: Chef Imani Greer, a culinary entrepreneur, has created quite a stir — and menu — for the Bay Area’s vegan-loving community with the opening of his new Roasted and Raw (R&R) restaurant near Oakland’s Jack London Square. I am proud to welcome him to Zennie62Media for Oakland Restaurant Week 2023. Stay tuned. via YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QvMqVWLAH4

Event: Jog For Jill San Francisco Run September 12th Golden Gate Park

Cal Women's Rowing Team member Jill Costello passed away from complications due to lung cancer on June 24th 2010 and at the age of 21. A San Francisco event and run called Jog For Jill has been established and will be held this Sunday, September 12th at 5 PM. Two members of the Cal Women's Crew team were at the Cal vs. Davis football game wearing Jog For Jill shirts, and were kind enough to provide the video interview above. Below are the other details from the event website, where you're encouraged to pre-register here CLICK FOR SITE : Pre-Registration: Online/$25 Day of Registration: 4:00 p.m./$30 Shotgun Start: 5:00 p.m. After run/walk celebration: 6:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m. Event Location: Golden Gate Park Music Concourse Bandshell S Tea Garden Drive San Francisco, California 94118 Participants are encouraged to pre-register. Only pre-registered participants will be guaranteed a walk/run T-shirt. T-shirts will be limited to the first 2500 day of regis